{Education}

This aspest is aimed at exposing errors that students commit in their day to day spoken and written English. Also efforts are made here at providing the correct forms and usage of these expressions. Below are some of the errors.

Incorrect : My shirt is rough
Correct : my shirt is rumpled
Rough cannot collocate with shirt because no shirt can besmooth in relation to it's texture.

Incorrect : He owns a Barbing salon
Correct : He owns a Barber's shop
The word Barbing is not non existent In the English language.

Incorrect : My landlord gave me a Quit notice
Correct : My landlord gave me a Notice to quit
Quit notice is a non existent In the English language.

Incorrect : Tell the gateman to open the gate
Correct : Tell the gatekeeper  to open the gate
Gateman is non existent In standard English language, the correct expression ie the name of a person who is in charge of the opening and closing of a gate is gatekeeper.

Incorrect : I will go to the Chemist to buy a packet of paracetamol
Correct : I will go to pharmacy to buy a packet of paracetamol
Chemist is a person who prepares and sells medicine. Pharmacy is a person or part of a shop where medicines are sold.

Incorrect : I have Apollo
Correct : I am suffering from conjunctivitis
A painful disease of the eyes with redness and swelling is called Conjunctivitis not Apollo.

Incorrect: He Disvirgined the girl last year
Correct : He Deflowered the girl last year
The word Disvirgined does not exist in the English language.

Incorrect : My father gave me $10 but it is a chicken change compared to what I need
Correct : My father gave me $10 but it is a chicken feed compared to what I need.
"Chicken feed" not "chicken change" means a very small amount of money.

Incorrect : The host offered us a variety of Hot drinks as whiskey and Brandy.
Correct : The host offered us a variety of Hard drinks such as whiskey and Brandy.
"Hard drinks" not "hot drinks" a lot of alcohol such as whiskey and Brandy.

Incorrect : I like the Chain your sister wore last week
Correct : I like the Necklace your sister wore last week
Your sister can only be on chain if she is a slave or a dog.

Incorrect : My teacher has K-leg
Correct : My teacher is knock-kneed
We cannot describe human leg as "K"

Incorrect : The Chairman and the Chairlady will be at the occasion.
Correct : The Chairman and Chairperson will be at the occasion.
Chairperson is used for a woman who is in charge of a meeting or who direct the work of a committee or an organization.

Incorrect : I am Lacking behind in mathematics.
Correct : I am Lagging in mathematics
"Lack" means not having enough while "Lag" means not able to meet up.

Incorrect : see your Dictionary for the meaning
Correct : look up the words in the Dictionary for the meaning.
You may see your Dictionary but not look up the words therein for meaning to words, but you look up the words in the Dictionary for meaning to a word.



 More update on my blogSite











Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JAMB (ENGLISH) Past Question And Answers

Video and Photos Of Donald Trump, Journey To The White House

(Life Style) Pic : RIHANNA The Barbadian Singer. Debut Albums And Singles